I am a Master’s level Registered Social Worker and a psychotherapist located in North York, Toronto. I combine knowledge and experience accumulated over 15 years of work in mental health research with professional training at the University of Toronto. I love what I do.
I draw on the breadth of therapeutic approaches including psychodynamic, interpersonal (IPT), cognitive behavioural (CBT), Emotion-Focused and Narrative therapies. I incorporate mindfulness throughout to help ground and regulate strong emotional states and to develop a non-judgmental awareness toward one’s self . Though I am trained in the therapeutic modalities listed above, I rarely use one approach exclusively. These are all evidence-based practices and it truly depends on what a person I am working with needs and prefers. We decide on the approach together when we meet and you share your concerns and struggles, and what you hope to achieve.
I work with emotions regardless of the approach chosen as we often learn to ignore and even fear what we feel. When this happens, we can no longer experience a full range of emotions - we are often either numb or angry. This also impedes our ability to experience positive emotions as we cannot pick and choose which emotions we want to feel. However, emotions are there to tell us what we need and when we lose touch with our emotions, we cannot even say what it is that we need to be well. Clients often worry that by opening their emotional floodgates, they will lose control over their lives. In fact, the opposite is true: when you develop your innate ability to experience a full range of emotions, they take their rightful place and help you become emotionally and psychologically resilient.
- Master of Social Work, Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto.
- Honours Bachelor of Science, (Psychology), University of Toronto
Additional Education and Training
- Neuroscience Seminars - Dr. Norman Doidge
- Interpersonal Neurobiology and Innovative Therapeutic Practices: Working with Children and Families. - The Hincks Dellcrest Centre
- Working with the Neurobiological Legacy of Trauma: Levels 1 and 2 | Janina Fisher, Ph.D.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR l) - Niagara Stress and Trauma Clinic
- Brainspotting (BSP) Phase l with Dr. David Grand
- The Attachment and Trauma Mastery Training Program with Dr. Diane Poole Heller
- Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT) with Dr. Sue Johnson
- Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy Core Skills
- Emotion Focused Couple Therapy Externship with Dr. Sue Johnson
- Emotion Focused Therapy. Working with Emotions in Psychotherapy: A Trans-Theoretical Approach, workshop with Dr. Leslie Greenberg, University of Toronto
- Discernment Counselling with Dr. Bill Doherty, The Doherty Relationship Institute
- Advanced Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and T.E.A.M. Therapy Techniques with Dr. David Burns, M.D.
- Mindfulness Counselling Strategies – Activating Compassion and Regulation. Crisis and Trauma Resource Centre.
- Working with Adolescents and their Families – Navigating Through Tough Times, The Hincks-Dellcrest Centre
- Clinical Hypnotherapy, Canadian Society for Clinical Hypnosis (CSCH-OD)
- Brief Therapy Certificate Program, The Hincks-Dellcrest Centre/Gail Appel Institute
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy. Centre for Addiction & Mental Health
- Treating Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum Disorders, The Hincks-Dellcrest Centre.
- Single Session Therapy: Maybe a bit Beyond, The Hincks-Dellcrest Centre/Gail Appel Institute
- Special Extension Program Workshop, Techniques of Infant/Child/Adolescent Psychoanalytic Therapy in the 21st Century, Toronto Psychoanalytic Society & Institute
- Special Extension Program Workshop – Trauma: A Psychoanalytic View, Toronto Psychoanalytic Society & Institute
Professional License and Memberships
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- Ontario Association of Social Worker
- International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy